One-year academic scholarships to students attending a Louisiana public college or university are awarded each year in a random drawing at DEMCO's annual membership meeting.
The scholarships awarded by DEMCO provide assistance to help students with academic tuition to a Louisiana public college or university for both the fall and spring semesters of the academic year. Students will be awarded $1,250 cash award to be used by the student as needed.
Each year hundreds of applications for scholarship assistance are received by DEMCO. DEMCO is allowed to use unclaimed deposits, refunds and other moneys owed to former members to provide funding for the scholarship program. Complete eligibility requirements are listed below.
Scholarship eligibility requirements
1. Applicant must be a DEMCO member, child or the legal ward of a DEMCO member who has been a member in good standing for at least twelve (12) consecutive months as of the application deadline. Only one scholarship will be awarded per family per academic year. Only one application per student will be accepted.
2. A student can receive the DEMCO scholarship one time. It is not renewable. The term of the scholarship will be for one continuous academic year beginning with the fall semester (or quarter). The scholarship does not include summer sessions.
3. The scholarship money can be used by an undergraduate student to attend, on a full-time basis, any Louisiana PUBLIC university. The scholarship will not be awarded to a student attending a private university or vocational/trade school of any kind.
4. A first-time college student applying for the DEMCO scholarship must: a) have graduated from high school with at least a B average (3.0 GPA on a 4.0 GPA scale, or the equivalent); or, b) have graduated from high school and received a minimum ACT test score of 21. High school students who apply must be seniors.
5. An undergraduate college student seeking the scholarship must have achieved a minimum of 2.5 (on a 4.0 GPA scale) on all prior college work.
6. A scholarship application must be completed and returned to DEMCO.
7. The scholarship recipients will be chosen in a random drawing at the annual meeting of the DEMCO membership.
8. The scholarship recipients will be required to provide DEMCO with an official transcript verifying his/her eligibility within 10 days after the drawing.
9. The scholarship funds will be paid to the recipients at the beginning of each semester (or quarter) upon presentation of an official receipt for the payment of full-time undergraduate tuition (see No. 10 below). To receive the second semester (or quarter) payment, the student must provide evidence that he/she successfully completed at least 12 semester hours (or 9 quarter hours) and that he/she maintained a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5 (on a 4.0 scale).
10. The scholarship provides a limited scholarship award of $1250 per semester.
11. Members of the DEMCO Board of Directors, employees of DEMCO (including part-time employees, students, and temporary employees) and children and/or grandchildren of the Board of Directors and employees are not eligible for this scholarship.