Contest Rules & Participation
Now is your chance to be a part of history! You could be one of 4 students to win an all-expense paid trip to WASHINGTON, D.C.! You'll get to tour the capital, meet with your congressman, visit historical sites, see your government working and make lots of new friends from all around the country! All you have to do to qualify is enter an essay in the 2017 Electric Cooperative Youth Tour Essay Contest, sponsored by DEMCO.
- High school juniors *who are DEMCO members in Ascension, East Baton Rouge, East Feliciana, Livingston, St. Helena, Tangipahoa and West Feliciana are eligible to enter (*home schooled students of DEMCO members are also eligible).
- *Please note that although only DEMCO members are eligible for the trips to Washington D.C., ALL entering students are eligible for prizes to be awarded for the best written essays.
- Children, grandchildren, brothers or sisters of DEMCO employees or directors are ineligible.
- This year’s essay topic should be in the form of a letter to a political leader (President of the United States, Governor of Louisiana, Mayor, Secretary of the Department of Environmental Quality, etc.; just to name a few). The letter should address any topic that inspires the student/author’s passion.
- All essays need not to exceed 750 words.
Each essay must be accompanied by a cover sheet including:
- Student's name, address, telephone number, email address, and age
- Name(s) of parent(s) or guardian(s)
- Name of school
- Name of English teacher
- Student's school and community activities, achievements and extracurricular activities
- Date submitted
- Essays may be submitted in one of three ways:
- in person to any DEMCO office,
by mail to:
DEMCO Marketing Department/YT
P.O Box 15659
Baton Rouge, LA 70895
- DEMCO Marketing Department/YT
- OR entries can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Deadline for entries is Friday, January 20, 2017. All essays submitted in this contest will become the property of DEMCO and will not be returned.
Essays will be judged on originality, composition, how well they address the subject and neatness.
- 12 semi-finalists will be selected for final judging. Final competition will consist of an oral presentation of the written essay and a brief test on rural electrification knowledge.
4 winners will travel to Washington, D.C. in June, 2017.