- Only high school juniors in Ascension, East Baton Rouge, East Feliciana, Livingston, St. Helena, Tangipahoa, or West Feliciana are eligible to enter; homeschooled students are also eligible.
- This year’s essay topic should be a letter to a political leader (President of the United States, Governor of Louisiana, Mayor, Secretary of the Department of Environmental Quality, etc.; just to name a few). The letter should address any topic of concern that is important to the student/author.
- All essays should be typed double-spaced or legibly written in ink, not to exceed 750 words.
- The deadline to enter is January 21, 2022.
- Please note: although only DEMCO members are eligible to win the trip to D.C., ALL entering students are eligible for prizes to be awarded for best-written essays.
- All essays submitted in this contest will become the property of DEMCO and will not be returned.
- Children, grandchildren, brothers, or sisters of DEMCO employees or directors are ineligible.
If you are unable to submit your entry online, please email your essay AND include a cover letter which includes all information listed below to AnneH@DEMCO.org.
- Student's name, home street address, telephone number, email address, and age
- Parent/Guardian Name, home street address, telephone number and email address
- Name of school
- Name of English or Civics teacher
- Student's school and community activities, achievements, and extracurricular activities
The first round of judging is based on originality, composition, and how well the student addresses the subject. Twelve semi-finalists will be selected from the written essay entries and invited to attend the DEMCO Essay Presentation and Awards Banquet in March. Final judging is based on the student's oral presentation of their essay, and a brief test on rural electrification knowledge. Four students will win the prize sponsored by DEMCO, which is a trip to Washington, D.C. to participate in the National Rural Electric Youth Tour.
The NRECA Youth Tour trip is scheduled the week of June 17-24, 2022.