The purpose of the DEMCO Foundation Scholarship Program is to provide assistance to DEMCO members who plan to attend an accredited university, trade school, vocational or technical schools, community college or educational program in the state of Louisiana.
The deadline for DEMCO Foundation scholarship applications is the third Thursday in June for the Fall Semester and the third Thursday in December for the Spring Semester. The DEMCO Foundation will award several scholarships in the amount of $1,250.00. The number of scholarships awarded will be determined after all scholarship applications are received. Funds are to be used for payment of educational expenses such as tuition, books, and fees. Payment of scholarships will be made directly to the applicant’s school of attendance.
- Applicant must be a DEMCO member, as defined by DEMCO Foundation Bylaws (see definition below).
- Applicant must possess a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Applicant must plan to attend a trade school, vocational or technical school, community college or other such Louisiana institution.
- Applicant must submit a completed DEMCO Foundation Scholarship Application online and all supporting documentation to the DEMCO Foundation office. The application package should include the following:
- Official Transcript. If you are requesting the transcript via email, it must be emailed directly to RhowandaF@DEMCO.org; it cannot be forwarded. If you are requesting a hard copy of the transcript, it must be submitted in a sealed (unopened) envelope with the school’s seal/stamp on the closure to P.O. Box 15659, Baton Rouge, La. 70895, Attn. DEMCO Foundation;
- a 2.5 cumulative GPA on an overall 4.0 scale;
- three letters of recommendation of which none can be from a family member, DEMCO board member or DEMCO Foundation board member, the author of the recommendation letter may email the letter directly to RhowandaF@DEMCO.org in a Word document, PDF or it can be mailed in a sealed envelope (P.O. Box 15659, Baton Rouge, La. 70895, Attn. DEMCO Foundation) and must include a signature (electronic signature is acceptable). If you have previously submitted an application, new letters of recommendation are required;
- an acceptance letter from the school of choice for first time or transferring students;
- and a cover letter detailing the reasons for consideration for the DEMCO Foundation Scholarship, please include any extracurricular activities or jobs you have held or currently hold. Please also include your classification (freshman, sophomore, etc) and major. The letter may be emailed directly to RhowandaF@DEMCO.org in a Word document, PDF or by mail (P.O. Box 15659, Baton Rouge, La. 70895, Attn. DEMCO Foundation)and must include a signature (electronic signature is acceptable), if you have previously submitted an application, a new letter is required.
Recipients are eligible to apply for a maximum lifetime scholarship award of four (4) semesters per individual.
Excerpt from ARTICLE II, DEMCO Foundation Bylaws
Definition of DEMCO Member:
“For the purposes of these Articles of Incorporation, DEMCO members are defined as those individuals who are members of DEMCO and the members of their immediate family. Members of the immediate family shall mean those natural persons regularly residing in the member’s home which is served by DEMCO.”